I’m really sorry to tell you this but whoever you are, whether you are overweight and decide it’s time to lose some pounds, along your weight loss journey, or when you finally reach your goal. And basically for the rest of your life after that, you will always gonna have to deal with food and drinks. It’s a fact, you, me, no one can change this.
Everybody knows the basics about what is said to be good or bad, but everybody is different. Some people have allergies or diseases then what is good for you may be bad for them, some others can eat cake and drink soda all day and have a body that doesn’t stock any fat and look thinner and healthier than others who eat probably better food with less calories but gain a few pounds instead.
The unfair part of all this is that if you’ve ever been overweight in your life, or got pregnant, even if you lose all you wanted and even more, you will never be able to eat like The Others without putting some back on. I’ve read somewhere, sorry I can’t remember where, but please do google it for scientific proof, that the more you stock fat the more your body creates fat cells, when you lose weight they just get smaller but never disappear, so basically if you indulge a bit too much your body is gonna have a tendency to stock in those cells because it’s easier to fill them when they are already there. Especially if you’ve been crash dieting your body thinks you are starving and stocks at the first opportunity. And when I think about it it makes perfect sense and I guess that’s why it’s so hard to keep it off.
So well, like me, you just have to make peace with this unfair part of life and try to deal with it the best you can and be prepared. You’re losing weight and you’ve planned your breakfast ( 400 calories ), your lunch ( 100 calories ), your dinner ( 300 calories ) but what to do in between when you have to have something without ruining all the good work you’ve done so far and you just can’t wait till lunch or dinner just because a. you need a snack before and/or after working out, or 3 hours passed since your last meal and that’s perfectly normal, b. something smells good in the kitchen and you just can’t take it, c. you just want a glass of wine to relax and/or share with someone, or d. someone upset you and you want chocolate? For any reason you may think of, you need to know that they happen all the time and you just need to know where to turn in these cases. For these reasons you are allowed an extra 200 to 300 calories a day for fun or survival when you’re on your weight loss journey and up to 700 when you’ve reached your goal. yeah!!
Remember I’m not a nutritionist but please lets use common sense. If you’ve got issues and your doctor gives you advice listen to him or her. If you’ve got allergies, well you know what to avoid. Don’t judge me too much, just give yourself a chance and try. I just want to help and most of us can’t afford to have a personal nutritionist, a personal chef, a personal trainer and lots of expensive superfoods and supplements that come from out of space.. And believe me I’ve been there, done that, bought so many different sizes t-shirts…
So here are a few ideas, nothing crazy just some things that are still vegan but will curb your cravings without being too damaging to your health and your waistline:
- 120ml of white wine ( 97 calories )
- 120ml of red wine ( 101 calories )
- 20g of good quality dark chocolate 75% to 85% ( about 120 calories ) that’s about 2 average squares. Please get the good stuff, remember you are indulging yourself, and it is way better for you. Eat slowly, enjoy, it will last longer.
- A medium size apple ( 100 calories ), no surprises here.
- 250g strawberries ( 82 calories ), that’s a whole punnet!
- One flavoured 125g vegan yogurt ( more or less 100 calories ) I personally love all the Alpro ones, they’re delicious and taste like dessert.
- 3 cups of air popped popcorn ( 93 calories ), I like it plain but you can add some salt and spices, without adding too many calories. As an idea you can add some italian herbs, or some chilli powder, if you prefer sweet you can add some cinnamon or cocoa powder or add a pinch of stevia if you can stand that taste. My husband bought me a machine some time ago and it’s brilliant, it’s quick, uses no fat, no mess and it’s dead cheap, go on amazon and buy one now.
- One medium size banana ( 105 calories ) and if you freeze it and blend it you have ice cream. Add 1 tsp cocoa powder ( 4 calories ) and you have chocolate ice cream!
- Half tbsp of chia seeds ( 35 calories ) mixed with 200ml of vanilla soya milk ( 108 calories ) and left in the fridge overnight. I use a jam jar for that so I can shake it a few times and it stays closed. Then the next day you get to have vanilla pudding for only 143 calories. Or you can replace the vanilla soya milk by a coconut drink like Alpro coconut, not coconut milk… ( only 40 calories for 200ml ), 2 tsp of cocoa powder ( 8 calories ) and 1 tsp agave nectar ( 21 calories ) and you get coconut chocolate pudding for only 104 calories.
- 10 almonds ( 70 calories ), 10 pistachios ( 40 calories ), 10 peanuts ( 60 calories ), 10 cashew nuts ( 90 calories ), 10 hazelnuts ( 90 calories ). Always check that the ingredients are just the nuts. Buy them plain and roast them yourself with a bit of salt and spices if you want and nothing else for about 5 min in the oven at 180°C, keep an eye, they can burn quickly. They are usually ready as soon as you start smelling, well, nuts. This way you don’t get bad surprises like too much salt, unnecessary added oils or else, and they taste better this way anyway.
- Core and bake an apple ( still 100 calories ) just like that in the oven for 30min at 180°C, sprinkle with cinnamon and top with 100g of vegan almond yogurt ( 54 calories ) or 100g of plain vegan yogurt ( 50 calories ) or even 100g of this new Alpro plain with oats ( 55 calories ) and you get a comforting snack for about 155 calories, which is all you need when it’s cold outside.. And I promise you I don’t work for Alpro but I love their products so much sometimes I wish I was….
- One toasted crumpet ( about 90 calories ), yes they usually are vegan. Please check the ingredients when you’re at the store and be amazed. Top it with one tsp of maple syrup ( 17 calories ) and feel like you’re at a fun fair.
- More generally when I need something because 3 hours passed since lunch, and you should always have a little something every 3 hours or so just to boost your metabolism, ( except at night of course.. please do sleep well. ) or for whatever other reason or time my stomach or mind is telling me to get something, I just eat raw fruits and vegetables. They are usually low in calories and you will find out that you often get quite a lot for more or less 100 calories. Get your apps and check quickly if you want but you should be pretty safe to fill you stomach with these as much as you like ( except avocados but we all know that ). The options are endless, mix and match and try new ones. Always have them at home, peel, prepare and keep them in your fridge ready for when you want them. On the go I always keep two apples or three clementines in my bag just in case. Do the same, you don’t want to be hungry in the middle of the city with no food.. You know exactly what you gonna end up buying…
So here are just a few ideas to keep you going, just choose one or two or three of these a day and you should be alright and treat yourself at the same time. If you end up having one or two more than you should, don’t worry, on the bigger picture it’s just an extra 100 or 200 calories, just be careful on the following days not to fall out the wagon and you are still gonna be fine.
On this note I hope this helped, enjoy life and see you next time.